The first question that arises and is answered is what Digital Leadership is? How leadership looks in a digital age is different, and how it is the same now when it comes to digital leadership, whether you are a technophile or a new individual to technology.
What Does It Mean To Be A Leader In A Digital Era?
1. What any technology does is create new enablement. Therefore, it makes new opportunities, and leadership refers to taking advantage of these opportunities and making use of them safely and holistically.
2. Digital leadership is not just the traditional form of leadership such as the government of the state, or let us take academia for that. The world has been turned around and looking at the young people to look at what\’s new, and so the leadership is not just old grey suits; it is about looking back and identifying the new opportunities.
3. Technology is not technology if it does not create any business value. We have so many enablers in the market that you can use to help your business generate value and turn data into assets. Digital Leadership allows us to generate market value and enhance the assets\’ productivity in a business setup. Let us take one example the information or data we get from Whatsapp, newspaper and other sources, and we want to put this information in one place in a consolidated form then we generate insights for yourself using the technology to come up with a valuable insight immediately by yourself and then make your deliverance.
We have to believe that it is an incredible atmosphere and an incredible ecosystem when it comes to technology. In the current era, we cannot ignore this aspect and the massive changes taking place in technology. When we talk about the Tech community in various institutions, we immediately visualize business students having the ambition to work for some sort of tech company and also preparing people for the tech business world and take us into the insights of the world of technology.
- Digital leadership corresponds to digitalisation, and this means there are various types which include technical digitalisation, the internet of things, to bring the technical and processing side together.
- It is secondly the question of a new business model of the platforms we have.
- It is thirdly the question about digital leadership and agile organisation as we are talking about in the context.
- Fourth is the collaboration, the way we communicate, and the five is the security or authentic data, the question of quality of data that we are working with. When we talk about digital leadership, we talk of an orientation where we have a goal, and we look for the skills we need to achieve this goal. We have to look about the frames so not about their skill set but about the frames which employees are striving for, and this is a huge difference to what we do today when we lead employees; we, as digital leaders, create agile organisations.
This is because modern society is based on digitalization is very dynamic. So the result is that we have dynamic, agile organizations in the business and enterprises who have pressure on innovation, pressure on change, and this is another significant task that the leadership has to focus on.
Another aspect of looking at this is that there is no new capability, no new skill, and no new trait is required. What we as a person and as an individual is to manage digital leadership. Leadership is evolving, and it is evolving from one field to another, from a field of the practical approach to a field of virtual reality.
The point is the tasks are changing that are to be performed as a digital leader and what we require is a special awareness of issues related to digitalization means we have to look at a competitive digital environment, we have to think about the way how the mentality or mindset of your people is appropriate to the digital environment. Are you clear where the industry might attack you? Are you aware of a good collaborative environment? Are you aware that your people are innovative and communicative in business enterprise/ Are your people made sure to make decisions that are important to reaching the goal of the company?
Why do you require special skills in that manner? Working with your people, working with your employees, empowering them to create new attitudes in the digital environment, so digital leadership brings in digital culture. We look at it because small businesses have transformed into hospitals, governments, and countries. A successful digital leader understands what a customer wants, and at Amazon, we call it customer obsession.
They understand the importance of data and the needs of the customers. One of the major reasons behind Amazon being a profitable company and a leading e platform is their concern about the customers and their approach towards customers\’ needs and requirements, and the level of satisfaction they provide to the customers. They also place a high value on being creative, being scrappy, being out of the box, and thinking about how technology can be used to assist my customer efficiently. This talks all about customer obsession.
DIGITAL LEADERSHIP VS DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION
Digital technology allows us to think things and make them virtual, so what we have done has already taken many activities that used to be done by real people with pens and pieces of paper, and we have transformed things that now take place in a virtual setup. So, for example, we use our smartphones for banking, and we hardly visit banks in that matter, and it is very interesting as it is easy and comfortable.
Digital, therefore, talks of how the tasks have taken a virtual process of taking place from the real world. Now talking about the transformation, this process has a huge impact, and it talks about transformation. Let us think of the pre-industrial society, a society that was an interesting place, and there have been changes from wars, kings, queens. At the same time, the lives of people were stable; they were stable for generations, they worked the same way, they lived the same way, and then something happened when the world started using the word transformation, which referred to the industrial revolution.
Then took place a fundamental change in the society so the nature of work, the things we used, the printing press changed, the political systems got changed, there was a change in every dimension of the society. Well, now something similar to this is happening again where we are creating a new world where things that look familiar though they are not.
Future of Digital Leadership
- Nowadays, most of the professionals or various setups work for agile teams. Still, the infrastructure might now support that information has to be more personalised today for many reasons, communication has to be more effective and faster, and more effective metrics have to be relevant.
- The digital leader now has to collaborate new ways they have to bring people together, share ideas across very complex situations they need to be enabled by technology, connecting more complex connections of teams, which means we have to be able to enable these teams that were not with us every day. However, we still are responsible for it, and we have to shape their behaviour. We cannot tell them what to do it is not a hierarchy. So a digital leader has to focus on transparency and better data. We have to unleash people in a connected way but still be in touch, and it is called liberating. Companies are now focusing on machines learning applications, and we see how companies use data in a cloud to make better business decisions.
We can see a resurgence in hospitals; they leveraged a lot of data to handle the frontline emergencies. Looking at this example, we can say that this data lead approach can be more and more important in the upcoming decade as we are going with time. Being data-driven this topic can be lead to debates, and the future of digital leadership has a varied aspect.
- Digital Leadership helps to stay effective and efficient today with the marketing objectives and to achieve the highest possible output attainment. First, we are spending a good part of the year de-commissioning which means adding and subtracting our technology from the various chosen platforms; we are adding and investing in new opportunities. The second part is the sense of commitment in the digital leader to process.
- Every team member should keep working on adding additional quality and performing quality checks, and by this, we can continue to improve. Going right from process revolution documentation and collaboration internally within a team is important for the leader. A leader here must be familiar and competent in technical areas and be visionary; a clear vision is more important than a detailed plan. It has to be patient with listening more.
How To Enhance digital leadership In Organization ?
Digital leadership changes how you do business; it changes how you operate your organization. It delivered fundamentally changes the way you deliver value to people, to your customers, to all the stakeholders around. So a leader driving that journey can be a CEO, manager, or even a staff member from the workplace. We have to bring people towards the boot camps and encourage them to learn skills in technology. We can bring up the entire top CEOs of the country to speak at the events about technology and the role of technology in our lives in this era. People can start their tech start-ups.
Five Key Traits Of An Effective Digital Leader
- The very first trait out of all these is customer-centric. The leaders prioritise that is driven by customer needs and align organisational structures into processes and strategies towards a seamless customer experience. The companies or brands work to attract customers, and therefore meeting the customers\’ requirements is very important to be an effective digital leader.
- The second is being Tech Savvy; one has to understand the integration and application of technology to business. Technology in business nowadays is used at a large scale; most of the tasks performed are done or recorded with the help of digital assets. Therefore, knowing technology and its practical approach is a requirement to be an effective digital leader.
- the Third trait is visionary; one should have a strong vision and purpose to be a good digital leader and the ability to communicate it. Be an inspirational leader, someone that people want to follow. It is very important to have a vision, a goal towards which one has to work to meet the goals. The leader should have a target towards which he and his whole team has to focus, and it is essential to work efficiently and with motivation.
- Next is Adaptive and Agile, the ability to maintain and adapt strategies reorganising around opportunity and embrace uncertainty? These are important traits which one should have as a digital leader.
- The quality of being data-driven is another essential to being an effective digital leader. Effective leaders are adapting to the use of data to drive decision-making, especially product development or choosing priorities for investment.
Hence the context provides a holistic approach to digital leadership and its various aspects, the various approaches such as the digital transformation and its indifference to digital leadership have been discussed, apart from that, the future of digital leadership has been taken into the limelight, and the traits required to be an efficient digital leader have been demonstrated. It lays down the various aspects of digital leadership and also the traits required to be a digital leader.